Sunday, December 26, 2010

#21 - Guy Delisle


You have two paths of working. You are making wordless comics and travelogues. Is one of these paths easier for you and do you work differently on them?

Wordless comic books are easier for me. I like to do the travelogue ones, but the text is a lot of work for me. I prefer to spend all day listening to the radio and draw.

Your comic books (especially the ones without words) have very specific narration, they’re like animation on paper. How creating animations helps you in making comics?

I don't know for sure. I guess, I have been very influenced by working in animation. When you work in animation, you spend a lot of time focusing on the movement. I always liked that and I remember that I was thinking at the time, that there is a few things worth doing with that for a comic book.

In your travelogues, you’re the main character, but you’re not writing too much about your emotions. You just show the situations, without commentary. Why do you show the facts, without emotional involvement?

It's just the way I am. I don't have the impression that the book is lacking of emotions though. Generaly, I prefer to bring the reader with me and let him feel or think by himself.

When you’re writing your travelogues, how do you choose the appropriate events and how do you connect them to create one, long story? Do you sometimes exaggerate or change the facts? 

It's very simple. I read back the notes I took when I was away. Everything that is interesting, funny or just weird I put it in the book. I make sure, that the rythm is well balanced and voilà. I never change or exaggerate, it is not necessary if the storytelling is strong enough.

Cinema has movement and music has sound. And what – for you – distinguish and make comic books a different medium?

You can hold it in your hands.

Many critics say, that everything in art had already been said and done. If that’s true, what are the new solutions and horizons for comic books?

The recent past years have been filled with new ways of telling a story in comic book. I think, we are living in a great time to create or just read them. It will be seen as a golden age in the future. Working with L’Association was a blessing for me, it was a place of great creativity. I think there is still a lot more to explore but I don't have any solutions but my own.

Instant photography, like Polaroid, captures the evanescent moment. And what is evanescent for you?

I don't know, I am more of a “feet on the ground” kind of guy.

If you could take only one picture, what would you photograph?

My kids.


You can also find Guy Delisle here:
- Drawn & Quarterly

No comments:

Post a Comment